Internet Business Insurance Basics
If you have a website, whether it's for business or pleasure, you are held liable for anything you put on your site. For that reason, Internet business insurance is a must if you have an online business or even if your business has a website.
What is Internet Liability Insurance?
While general and professional liability insurance covers most of the lawsuits a company will face, the majority of policies don't cover a company's content on websites or their actions online. A few of the things internet liability insurance covers include:
- Plagiarism or unauthorized reuse of lyrics, literature, slogans, trademarks, or other copyrighted materials.
- Unauthorized use of a person's image or endorsement
- Defamation of character or slander of another person or business
- Failure to protect others' confidential information online
- Sharing private or confidential information online
- Failure to properly prevent transmission of a virus
Because copyright lawsuits yield some of the costliest settlements, internet business insurance is a must. It covers defense and settlement costs, as well as any judgments against you.
Who Needs Internet Liability Insurance?
If you have an internet business, you should have internet liability insurance. At the same time, if you own a website that includes frequent posts on other businesses or individuals, or if you operate a website at all, internet business insurance is a good idea.
A few of the many situations internet business insurance covers include:
- One of your employees posts information on your site that includes large portions copied word for word from another website. The other company sues you for plagiarism.
- You publish lyrics from a song or words from a poem on your site without obtaining the proper written permission from the artist or author or paying rights.
- You display copyrighted photographs or images on your site without permission from the owner.
- Your company's site posts slanderous information about a competitor or insinuates things that are not true.
- Lack of proper security on your site allows outside parties to access private information about your customers.
Finding the Best Internet Liability Insurance
The right amount of Internet business insurance is an important part of protecting your company's financial assets and reputation. Finding the best insurance coverage at an affordable price should involve shopping around and comparing multiple quotes. Because this can be a hassle, netquote.com takes the work out of finding Internet business insurance. On Netquote.com you can compare multiple quotes for free from the comfort and convenience of your office or home, so you know you're getting the right coverage at an affordable price.
See how much you could save today on your insurance. Get your free business insurance quotes today!