The Clifton Insurance Situation
Living in the Garden State means lots of people tightly crammed into a small area. That means lots of potential for things to go wrong whether it’s with your health, home or car. And while living in Clifton anything can happen. I mean you could be enjoying some pie at Abe’s and come out to discover your cherry 2002 Grand Prix has been side-swiped by someone from who knows where (probably the city). If you had New Jersey‘s Basic Coverage, you’d be out of luck without uninsured motorist protection. So you need some Clifton insurance quotes for your car and home and whatever else that will really protect you. Let’s have a sit-down and figure this out.
Car Insurance in Jersey
Clifton insurance isn’t cheap, but you probably already knew that. According to RateWatch.com, Jersey residents paid on average $2,749 in 2009. If you’re looking to protect your car, New Jersey law requires a few things. There’s the Basic Policy –kind of like eating frozen pizza: $5,000 Property; $15,000 PIP. Then there’s the Standard Policy:
- $15,000 per person/$30,000 per accident Bodily Injury Liability- this protects you when you cause the accident. It covers claims and lawsuits.
- $5,000 Property Damage Liability- covers you for any property you damage.
- $15,000 per person/per accident Personal Injury Protection (PIP)- covers medical bills for injuries sustained by you and others in your car, regardless of fault.
- $15,000/$30,000 Uninsured Motorist Bodily Liability- you get hit (and run?) by some guy who didn’t buy insurance.
- $5,000 Uninsured Motorist Property Damage
When deciding your liability limits, ask yourself these questions:
- What is my home’s value?
- What other assets do I have?
- What is my current and future income?
If you’re going get sued, you don’t want the other party cleaning you out. A Clifton insurance agent can help you determine these numbers.
I Need to Lower My Auto Premium
OK. We hear you. Because some of your premium is determined by things you can’t control, let’s look at what you can do to help lower your rate:
- Buy a car with safety features like anti-lock brakes, airbags, and automatic seat belts (passive restraint systems).
- Anti-theft systems like alarms and vehicle disabling devices.
- Higher deductibles.
- Lower your annual mileage by car-pooling and taking public transit.
Insuring Your Castle
There are a handful of options for your home depending on what type (renter, condo, single family, etc.) you need. The different policies are indentified as HO-1, HO-2, etc. where HO-3 is a single family home policy (the most common) that covers personal property and all perils except flood and earthquake –not problems you’ll likely encounter in Clifton anyway. Let’s look at some sample Clifton insurance quotes.
In 2010, the New Jersey Department of Insurance and Banking performed a survey of nearly 100 insurance companies. Here’s what the survey says:
For a 5-year-old home with an HO-3 policy with a dwelling amount of $225,000, personal liability of $300,000, medical payments $1,000, and $500 deductible, yearly premiums ranged from $242 to $2,762.
Goes to show you that shopping for Clifton insurance quotes isn’t as easy as it might seem.
What to do About this Insurance Thing?
You know you’ll probably need certain coverage to stay protected. You now know that Jersey insurance can be expensive. You also now know that Clifton insurance quotes can vary a lot. If you shop with NetQuote, you’ll be able to comparison shop to find the right product at the right price. That will save you money and hassle and leave you time for more important things.