What You Need to Know About Flint Insurance
Flint, Michigan is best known as the birthplace of general motors and has a long relationship with automobiles. But even in car country, auto insurance can be pricey-in 2008, Michigan was the 10th most expensive state to insure a car.
Factors Affecting Flint Insurance Quotes
If you’re shopping for auto insurance and are a little taken aback by the cost, it’s helpful to know the factors that contribute to insurance prices. Insurance is all about risk, so the higher the risk, the higher your premiums. This will vary depending on where you live, your age, and so forth. A few things that make Flint insurance risky business include:
- Theft. The car theft rate in Flint is almost twice the national average, with nearly 1300 car thefts in the area last year.
- Age/gender. You may notice a steep drop in your insurance after you turn 26. That’s because statistically, drivers under 25 have higher rates of accidents and speeding tickets. And, contrary to a number of jokes, women are actually safer drivers (statistically speaking), so their rates tend to be lower as well.
- Location of home. Flint is an urban area, and homes located closer to downtowns and more traffic are more at risk for accidents.
Michigan Insurance Requirements
Michigan is a no-fault state, meaning that each driver’s financial losses are covered by their own insurance company. It also limits the amount of litigation the victim can seek unless serious injury was caused. As a no-fault state, your Flint insurance quotes will include liability coverage.
- Bodily Injury Liability. This coverage includes minimums of $20,000/$40,000 for medical expenses in serious accidents.
- Property Damage Liability. Minimums in Michigan are $10,000. After that, the driver covers the rest of the costs.
These minimums are often insufficient, especially in a serious accident where injuries are extensive. Even in a no-fault state, a driver can be sued by a victim if his medical costs exceed the coverage of his insurance. So, it’s wise to increase the minimums. Comprehensive coverage is also a good idea to cover the costs of repair on your vehicle, and uninsured/underinsured may also come in handy.
Saving on Flint Insurance Quotes
Flint, and the automobile industry as a whole, has been hit hard by recent economic woes. But there are still many ways you can save money on your auto insurance.
- Multiple Policy Discounts. If you need homeowners or renters insurance, life insuranc,e or mobile home insurance, insuring from the same company can discount your auto policy.
- Alternative Fuel. Those who have gone green and drive hybrid or electric cars are also eligible for discounts.
- New Car/Multiple Car. Insuring a car that is less than a year old, or insuring multiple vehicles at once, can also save some money.
As a general rule, there is no reason to pay full price on auto insurance. There are many different discounts available that are worth looking into.
Finding Flint Insurance Quotes
Now that you know the basics of auto coverage in Michigan, it’s time to shop around for quotes and compare the best rates. NetQuote.com is a treasure trove of information on all things insurance and can provide multiple car insurance quotes for free in seconds so you can safely and legally be on your way.