Shopping for Holyoke insurance quotes is no St. Patrick's Day Parade, but it can be made a little simpler if you're armed with a little knowledge. Massachusetts is different than many states as far as personal insurance is concerned. If you're new to the Bay State and looking to purchase insurance for the first time, you may be in for some initial sticker shock. Massachusetts auto insurance consistently ranks in the Top 10 for most expensive in the country, averaging over $1,000 in yearly premiums.
Why is Mass. Auto Insurance So Expensive?
There are a several reasons Massachusetts auto insurance is so high. First, Massachusetts is a small, densely packed state where the majority of residents live in urban areas like Boston, Springfield and Worcester. Urban areas in general are more expensive than rural ones and urban drivers are at higher risk of accident than their rural counterparts. And because the overall cost of living is higher, other costs associated with auto insurance like car repairs and hospital bills are also higher.
Second, until 2008, the Massachusetts Commissioner of Insurance set insurance prices on a "fix-and-establish" system which meant that quotes from all providers had to be the same. This prevented insurers from competing to offer the lowest price to get your business. But in time, with more competition (nine new companies entered the Mass. market in 2009); rates should begin to come down. In 2008, premiums decreased by 8.2% vs. 5.2% under the old system.
The good news about buying Holyoke insurance is that under Massachusetts law, unlike many other states, you as a resident have a list of consumer rights.
- You can't be denied because of age, income, and principal place of garaging your car among others.
- You can't be denied because of your credit history.
- You have the right to know how your driving record affects your premium.
- You have the right to change coverage or cancel the policy at any time.
- If you're found "at fault" in an accident by your insurance company, you have the right to an appeal.
- You have the right to appeal a notice of cancellation.
- You have the right to remain silent...just kidding! There are more but you get the point.
Holyoke Insurance Quotes: The Mandatory Minimums
In order to obtain Holyoke insurance, you must buy the following minimum coverage:
- $20,000 per person for Bodily Injury to Others; $40,000 per accident.
- $8,000 Personal Injury Protection (PIP).
- $20,000 per person, $40,000 per accident for Bodily Injury Caused by an uninsured driver.
- $5,000 for property damage.
Getting the Lowest Priced Holyoke Insurance Quotes
Now that you know why Massachusetts auto insurance is so expensive and what the minimum requirements are, let's look at ways to lower your premium.
Keep your annual mileage down to a minimum. If you're commuting more than 40 miles a day consider carpooling or using public transit to lower your overall annual mileage. Consider vehicle safety features like air bags and daytime running lights as well as an anti-theft device. Insuring more than one vehicle with the same company also lowers your rates. Something to think about for the future is to simply obey the law and avoid accidents. These are big factors when determining how much you'll pay for Massachusetts insurance. Finally, because there are so many options out there, use a company like NetQuote to do the searching for you. It's fast, easy and provides you with the most comprehensive Holyoke insurance quotes out there.