Compare Insurance Quotes. Fast and Easy.

Please provide a valid zip code.


How to Find the Best Indiana Health Insurance

While the status of health insurance in Indiana hasn’t always been something to brag about, things are definitely on the upswing in the Hoosier State. According to the Commonwealth Fund’s 2009 State Scorecard on Health Care Performance, Indiana health insurance and health care ranked 28th out of 51 (the study includes all 50 states plus the District of Columbia), a surprising 10 spot leap in the rankings from Indiana’s 38th place ranking in the 2007 study. Even more encouraging is the fact that Indiana accomplished that feat without defaulting to heavy regulation of its health insurance industry. Of course, Indiana’s lack of regulation also means that it’s largely up to consumers to make the system work for them if they want to enjoy quality health care and affordable health insurance rates. Here’s the skinny on Indiana health care, health insurance in Indiana, and what you can do to get the best health insurance plan possible.


Evaluating an Indiana Health Insurance Quote

Whether you’re just curious what the Jones’ are paying for their health care coverage, or are looking for a baseline figure to give you a leg up in your negotiations for reasonable health care coverage and rates, it never hurts to know how much an average Hoosier pays for quality health insurance. Below you’ll find both local and national averages for group health care plans and independent market insurance coverage, according to data compiled by the Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) and the Association of Health Insurance Plans (AHIP):

    • Individual Market Single Indiana Health Insurance —If you’re looking for individual health insurance from Indiana, expect to fall in step (more or less) with the rest of the nation. According to the AHIP, the average annual premium for independent health insurance for an individual runs $2,504 in Indiana, slightly below the national average of $2,613 for comparable coverage.
    • Individual Market Family Indiana Health Insurance —For families, the outlook is a little more favorable. Again drawing from AHIP statistics, the average Hoosier pays $5,302 in annual health insurance premiums, approximately $600 less than the national average of $5,799.
    • Single Group Health Premiums —According to the Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF), the average group Indiana health insurance quote for a single individual runs $4,495 per year. Individuals contribute an average of 21% of that total ($950), while group administrators and employers cover the other 79% ($3,545). As for national averages, group members and employees pay an average of $822 per year, while administrators/employers pay $3,504, for a grand total of $4,386.
    • Family Group Health Premiums —Similar to independent insurance coverage, things look even better if you have a family and are looking into group coverage, according to the KFF. While the average group Indiana health insurance quote for families runs $13,504 per year (slightly more than the national average of $12,298), employer/group member responsibilities average a surprisingly low $2,472 per year – well under the national average of $3,394. Of course, somebody has to foot the bill, and in Indiana that burden falls on the employers and group administrators. Employers pay an average of $11,032 per year in Indiana for family group plans, quite a bit more than the national average of $8,904.

How to Get the Best Indiana Health Insurance Quote Possible

As reasonable as those numbers are, the lack of regulation in Indiana means that there are no guarantees when it comes to finding quality health insurance or affordable rates in the land of the Chi Town Shooters and the Gary Steelheads. There are steps you can take to increase your chances of getting the best deal, however, and number one among them is to make sure that you comparison shop for the best rates. Experts across the financial spectrum agree that the key to obtaining an affordable Indiana insurance quote lies in casting a wide net. By using a free online quote service like, you can acquire a host of free quotes from different health insurance providers so that you can compare & contrast your options on your way to the best possible health insurance plan for your family in the Hoosier state.

Please provide a valid zip code.