Peoria Insurance Basics
The city of Peoria, Illinois is no stranger to accolades-it has been awarded the All-American City award three times, and was voted one of the Top 50 Best Places to Live in 2005 based on factors like quality of life and cost of living. With such high praise, it’s no wonder people want to buy homes there. Along with owning a home, whether you’re in Peoria or Portland, comes the responsibility of homeowner insurance. And even though Peoria insurance quotes are pretty middle of the road when it comes to premium prices, if you don’t know what to look for or you aren’t aware of available discounts, you can end up paying more than you need to.
Peoria Insurance Basics
There are many different types of homeowner insurance, but the majority of homeowners will purchase what is known as an HO-3 policy. It includes a wide range of the most common perils, unless otherwise stated by your insurance agent. This generally includes damage caused by:
- Fire and smoke (excluding arson)
- Hail storms or heavy winds
- Riots or other forms of civil unrest
- Aircraft or vehicles in the event they crash into your home
- Vandalism or other forms of mischief
- Falling objects
- Heavy amounts of snow or ice
- Sudden and accidental damage from air conditioning, heating, plumbing, or electricity
Your policy may exclude some of these perils, or it may include more. If you live in a floodplain area or your neighborhood is prone to heavy rain, you can also purchase flood insurance, which is not included in HO-3 policies. Your insurance agent can give you a better idea of the type of insurance you need for your home and unique situation.
Saving on Your Peoria Insurance
Even though home insurance is generally affordable, with Illinois premiums averaging $674, you can still save money by being aware of discounts to homeowners. When you get your Peoria insurance quotes, be sure to consider discounts you may be eligible for, including:
- New Home Discounts. If your home is new construction or was built within a certain times frame, usually within the past few years, many companies will offer new home discounts.
- Home Renovation. A number of renovations that update your home and make it safer make you eligible for discounts on your home insurance as well.
- Protective Devices. When it comes down to it, insurance prices are all about risk. Installing burglar alarms, fire alarms, deadbolt locks, and other protective devices can lower your risk and your Peoria insurance quotes.
Finding the Best Rates
When the idea is to save as much money as possible, shopping around and comparing your Peoria insurance quotes is the best way to ensure you are getting a good deal. A comprehensive site like NetQuote.com will provide you with everything you need to know about insurance, and then provide quotes from numerous companies in an instant. And, best of all, you can access this information free of charge.