Insurance is a sore subject in California seeing as it consistently ranks above the U.S. averages. But understanding the logistics behind how Bakersfield insurance companies determine your rates can give you a better understanding of what coverages you need and those you can do without.
Bakersfield had the ninth most vehicle thefts at 2,516 in 2008, according to the FBI 2008 Crime in the United States report. Arming your car with anti-theft devices and quality Bakersfield insurance could protect you from car thieves and save you thousands of dollars. The National Insurance Crime Bureau recommends you used "layered protection" to prevent thefts. Your first step is to use common sense by removing your keys from the ignition, locking your doors, closing your windows, and parking in well-lit areas. But protecting your car with additional warning devices, immobilizing devices and/or tracking devices can significantly affect your Bakersfield insurance quotes and the likelihood of your car being stolen. Here are some examples of "layered protection:"
- Warning devices: audible alarms, wheel locks, window etching, steering column collars.
- Immobilizing devices: smart keys, kill switches, wireless ignition authentication
- Tracking devices: a device that emits a signal to police or a monitoring station, or telematics which combines GPS and wireless technologies to monitor the owner's vehicle
Factor in the type of car you drive, its age and the amount you owe on your car loan before you decide to install anti-theft devices. Your Bakersfield insurance quotes can also be affected if your vehicle is considered one of the top ten "Hot Wheels." The National Insurance Crime Bureau's top three in 2008 were the 1991 Honda Accord, the 1995 Honda Civic and the 1989 Toyota Camry.
Defining Your Homeowners Policy
Mojo Law defines crimes against property as "any criminal act that destroys another's property, or that deprives an owner of property against the owners will." Crimes against property can mean any number of things including arson, vandalism, robbery or larceny. And in Bakersfield, the FBI 2008 Crime in the United States reported 16,160 property crimes. To deter those who want to enter your property illegally, try improving the safety and security of your property by installing a burglar alarm, security camera, bars on your windows, and/or security lighting. These types of safety measures look good when you're gathering Bakersfield insurance quotes.
Other things that can affect your Bakersfield insurance quotes are:
- The construction of your home. Wood homes have higher rates than homes built of non-flammable materials like brick, stone or concrete.
- Where your home is located. If you live close to a fire station you could save a little money.
- Your claims history. If you have several insurance claims on your home, your rate will go up.
- The amount of your deductible. You will have a lower rate if choose a higher deductible, and vice versa.
Keeping your credit rating intact and insuring your home and not the land will save you money too. You're homeowners insurance premium might seem like small potatoes compared to your summer air conditioning bill. With that in mind, take whatever savings you can find.
Whether you're looking to purchase your first Bakersfield insurance policy or if you just want to see if you're already getting the best, most affordable coverage, try using a free service like NetQuote to do the work for you.