States’ insurance supervision more than adequate, Connecticut commissioner says
In testimony before a Congressional committee, Connecticut insurance commissioner Thomas Sullivan suggested that existing supervision of insurers need not be supplanted by federal oversight.
Sullivan spoke on behalf of the National Association of Insurance Commissioners, citing the “laws, values and unique risks of each state” in his argument that state insurance departments should continue overseeing insurance companies. The NAIC has solvency guidelines for all 50 states, Sullivan added, ensuring that the “same baseline solvency standards” are in place.
He went on to note the success of state regulatory frameworks in avoiding “insolvencies and market meltdowns” that occurred in other parts of the financial industry. Insurance companies are typically subject to, not responsible for, systemic risk, and even if an insurer fails, states’ guarantee funds would pay policyholders’ claims.
Sullivan cautioned the committee against “redundant, overlapping responsibilities” that increased federal insurance regulation would provide, implying that it “will harm individuals, families, and businesses that rely on insurance.”
Existing state regulations and solvency standards have ensured both policyholders’ safety and insurers’ stability, he said, noting that state insurance departments have experience with company insolvencies, too.
See how easy it is to shop online for life insurance. Get your free life insurance quotes today!
Posted: November 3, 2009
Related Life Insurance Articles
- Study finds that consumers confident in life insurance yet underinsured October 26, 2009
- Right life insurance policy can ensure financial stability September 29, 2009
- Fewer employees offering life insurance benefits September 28, 2009
- The connection between estate taxes and taking out a life insurance policy August 6, 2009
- Economy having an impact on life insurance rates July 13, 2009
- Term life insurance recommended to newlyweds July 1, 2009
- Americans stressing over retirement funds June 15, 2009
- Many older Americans considering burial needs June 08, 2009
- Life insurance payments a financial burden for many seniors May 26, 2009
- Life insurance changes part of budget proposal May 12, 2009