More people turn to life insurance in November
The number of people buying life insurance policies jumped in November, MIB Group data shows
North American life insurance policy purchases increased 3.9 percent year-on-year, data from insurance company coalition MIB Group shows.
In the U.S., life insurance purchases were up 4.1 percent from November 2008. The upswing was driven by a surge in purchases among older people: the 45- to 59-year-old group saw activity increase 6.7 percent and the 60-and-up group bought 18.8 percent more policies than they had a year ago.
Increased life insurance purchases among older Americans is a trend that started earlier in 2009. For nine of the last 10 months, MIB said, insurance purchases among Americans 60 and older saw double-digit increases from 2008.
Versus the previous month, too, life insurance applications were up. In the U.S., they increased 1.2 percent from October’s figure. More people may be realizing that life insurance is stable, safe and often necessary, particularly if a person has beneficiaries who depend on him. “It is clear [that] consumers are recovering their interest in the benefits available from life insurance,” noted Stacy Gill, MIB Solutions’ vice president of actuarial and statistical research.
See how easy it is to shop online for life insurance. Get your free life insurance quotes today!
Posted: December 16, 2009
Related Life Insurance Articles
- Review life insurance and combine policies, personal finance columnist says December 14, 2009
- Americans who rely on workplace for life insurance should be smart, insurer says December 10, 2009
- Life insurance industry on firm footing, new data indicates December 1, 2009
- Life insurance industry financially strong, ratings agency reports November 19, 2009
- Life insurance secondary market needs to be carefully regulated, Illinois commissioner says November 18, 2009
- Market uncertainty leading more to purchase life insurance November 11, 2009
- States’ insurance supervision more than adequate, Connecticut commissioner says November 2, 2009
- Study finds that consumers confident in life insurance yet underinsured October 26, 2009
- Right life insurance policy can ensure financial stability September 29, 2009
- Fewer employees offering life insurance benefits September 28, 2009