Market uncertainty leading more to purchase life insurance
Life insurance purchases were up in October, the MIB Life Index reports.
After a slow start to 2009, MIB says, consumer interest in life insurance is picking up. MIB, an information provider to the risk management industry, collects data when life insurance underwriters search the MIB database.
Life insurance purchases in the first two quarters of 2009 were down, compared to the same periods in 2008. Activity in the summer was flat, but September and October have seen year-on-year gains in insurance purchases. September saw gains of 1.2 percent, and October increases were 2.4 percent.
Investments in life insurance among older consumers have been notable. In October, purchases were up 17.7 percent among Americans older than 60. That group has been a driver of life insurance sales across the U.S. market, MIB says: “U.S. volume has been driven principally [by] double-digit increases in [purchases by consumers age 60 and older] across eight of the last ten months.”
Many older Americans saw retirement savings diminished in the market downturn of late 2008, and they may be looking for another way to guarantee income for spouses or family members in the future. Experts agree that life insurance is a good investment for people all ages, though.
See how easy it is to shop online for life insurance. Get your free life insurance quotes today!
Posted: November 11, 2009
Related Life Insurance Articles
- States’ insurance supervision more than adequate, Connecticut commissioner says November 2, 2009
- Study finds that consumers confident in life insurance yet underinsured October 26, 2009
- Right life insurance policy can ensure financial stability September 29, 2009
- Fewer employees offering life insurance benefits September 28, 2009
- The connection between estate taxes and taking out a life insurance policy August 6, 2009
- Economy having an impact on life insurance rates July 13, 2009
- Term life insurance recommended to newlyweds July 1, 2009
- Americans stressing over retirement funds June 15, 2009
- Many older Americans considering burial needs June 08, 2009
- Life insurance payments a financial burden for many seniors May 26, 2009