Keep DIME in mind when shopping for life insurance.
A four-pronged strategy can ensure that a policyholder has the best life insurance for his needs, an Ohio financial expert suggests
There are four letters a life insurance shopper should remember, wrote Zanesville, Ohio financial planner Scott L. Webb in the Coshocton Tribune: D, I, M and E.
“D” stands for death. Families should budget for funeral expenses in their life insurance policy: funerals can easily run into five figures, and it can be hard for young families to come up with that kind of money. A rider that will cover funeral costs will only add $4 to $6 per month, Webb suggests.
“I” means income replacement; life insurance should provide sufficient income to maintain a family’s standard of living until the youngest child turns 18.
“M” represents mortgage and debt. Paying off debt with insurance can make a decedent’s family members’ lives easier.
And “E” is education: policy shoppers need to keep in mind their children’s future education costs. Higher education expenses are rising much faster than inflation: using 2006 data, Standard & Poor’s estimated that tuition and other fees would increase 6 percent each year. Families may need life insurance for different reasons, but having sufficient coverage is essential.
See how easy it is to shop online for life insurance. Get your free life insurance quotes today!
Posted: December 28, 2009
Related Life Insurance Articles
- More people turn to life insurance in November December 16, 2009
- Review life insurance and combine policies, personal finance columnist says December 14, 2009
- Americans who rely on workplace for life insurance should be smart, insurer says December 10, 2009
- Life insurance industry on firm footing, new data indicates December 1, 2009
- Life insurance industry financially strong, ratings agency reports November 19, 2009
- Life insurance secondary market needs to be carefully regulated, Illinois commissioner says November 18, 2009
- Market uncertainty leading more to purchase life insurance November 11, 2009
- States’ insurance supervision more than adequate, Connecticut commissioner says November 2, 2009
- Study finds that consumers confident in life insurance yet underinsured October 26, 2009
- Right life insurance policy can ensure financial stability September 29, 2009