Government: Healthy living can hold down health insurance costs
Government officials are increasingly emphasizing the importance of healthy living and preventive medicine as ways to help hold down the cost of health insurance and general care.Government officials are increasingly emphasizing the importance of healthy living and preventive medicine as ways to help hold down the cost of health insurance and general care.
This week, Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius addressed the "Weight of the Nation" conference in an effort to boost awareness of these issues.
If there was an epidemic of little kids getting cancer, it would be a national crisis. But because it's obesity and the damage doesn 't come until later in life, we've been slow to act. I 'm counting on people in this room to tell Americans that as our children's weight is growing, their lives are shrinking. We can't ignore this problem any longer," Sebelius told her audience.
The HHS secretary also cited recent statistics showing that about two-thirds of adults and one-fifth of U.S. children are overweight, adding that obesity treatment currently costs the healthcare system twice as much as cancer treatment does.
In another sign of the state of the country's health, Sebelius noted that doctors no longer refer to type 2 diabetes as "adult onset diabetes" because so many children have been getting it. For those who do adopt healthier lifestyles for themselves and their families, lower health insurance costs will be just one small benefit.
Learn how easy and convenient shopping for health insurance can be. Get your free health insurance quotes today!
Posted: July 30, 2009
Related Health Insurance Articles
- Rising costs result in less workplace health insurance July 27, 2009
- Obesity a major factor in healthcare costs July 27, 2009
- Consumers can find health insurance search difficult July 23, 2009
- Younger workers advised on seeking health insurance July 23, 2009
- Organ transplants figure in debate over pre-existing conditions July 15, 2009
- Study: Medical costs can lead to bankruptcy July 15, 2009
- Affordable health insurance policies more in demand than ever July 14, 2009
- Sticking to medication routines can save on health insurance costs July 10, 2009
- New grads make easy insurance mistakes June 24, 2009
- Consumers speak out on health insurance coverage June 22, 2009