Poll: Americans not confident in health care reform proposals
President Barack Obama's attempts to make over the U.S. healthcare system are still not being met with overwhelming acceptance by the American public, according to a new survey from NBC News.President Barack Obama's attempts to make over the U.S. healthcare system are still not being met with overwhelming acceptance by the American public, according to a new survey from NBC News.
The poll, which surveyed 805 adults between August 15 and August 17, found that 42 percent of the respondents were worried that the reforms were a "bad idea" compared to only the 36 percent who felt it was a good idea. Also, 41 percent were concerned that the proposed reforms would not do enough to keep costs down and cover those who are uninsured.
Regarding Obama, 41 percent of the respondents approve of how he was handling healthcare while 47 percent disapproved.
"It looks to me like the message is getting through" to the White House," Senator Saxby Chambliss, R) of Georgia told Atlanta NBC affiliate 11Alive News. "And I think over the next three weeks, I think you're going to see an even stronger impact that's going to be had on Washington by the dialogue that's going to take place around the country."
However, according to MSNBC the survey also revealed that many of the reasons for the public dissention regarding the plan were not true. At least 45 percent of respondents felt that reforms would allow insurance coverage for illegal immigrants, lead to a "government takeover of the health care system," use government money to pay for abortions, and allow the government to decide when to stop providing to the elderly, all of which are not true.
Republicans were not left off the hook either, as only 21 percent approved of how the party was handling the health care issue in Congress.
Learn how easy and convenient shopping for health insurance can be. Get your free health insurance quotes today!
Posted: August 19, 2009
Related Health Insurance Articles
- If traveling abroad, remember to check with insurance providers to ensure your coverage August 17, 2009
- Reports: Growth in insurance premiums outpacing paycheck growth in four states August 13, 2009
- Health insurance terms see rise in interest on web amid recession, health care debate August 12, 2009
- Unnecessary costs contribute to price of health insurance August 11, 2009
- Should unhealthy people pay more for benefits? August 10, 2009
- Voluntary insurance benefits make it easier to cover a workforce diverse in age August 7, 2009
- How to properly adjust insurance benefits with a baby on the way August 4, 2009
- Government: Healthy living can hold down health insurance costs July 30, 2009
- Rising costs result in less workplace health insurance July 27, 2009
- Obesity a major factor in healthcare costs July 27, 2009
- Consumers can find health insurance search difficult July 23, 2009