Health insurance a significant expense for college students
A recent Wall Street Journal article detailed college students’ health insurance options, concluding that insurance plans offered through schools are a good value – but they are still expensive.
Premiums cost, on average, $1,631 a year for public university students and $1,881 a year for private school attendees, according a survey by Hodgkins Beckley Consulting.
Parents’ employer-sponsored health plans allow dependents to retain coverage into their early- or mid-twenties; New York signed a law in September allowing dependents to stay covered until they turn 30. But, says College Parents for America president Jim Boyle in an interview with the Columbia University Spectator, “the vast majority of campus health centers do not accept outside health insurance.”
Sixty-seven percent of college students are covered by their parents’ insurance, but those that aren’t can find a gap in coverage. Private insurance plans are much more expensive than the plans offered through schools; a third of graduates were uninsured at some point in their first year after college, a 2007 Commonwealth Fund report says.
Young people will be forced to carry health insurance in the future, pending the passage of health care legislation.
Learn how easy and convenient shopping for health insurance can be. Get your free health insurance quotes today!
Posted: November 6, 2009
Related Health Insurance Articles
- Reducing pollution may lead to lower health care costs November 5, 2009
- Rate reviews added to House health insurance bill November 4, 2009
- Children without health insurance have greater risk of dying, study says November 2, 2009
- Pros, cons of health insurance reform for young people October 30, 2009
- Small businesses bear the brunt of insurance cost increases October 29, 2009
- Lower diabetes risk leads to lower health insurance costs October 21, 2009
- Attorney General: ‘Smart Choices’ not always the smartest October 19, 2009
- Law ensures uninterrupted health insurance for college students October 19, 2009
- Health insurance costs projected to rise in the coming years October 16, 2009
- Health insurance debate focusing more on well-being October 15, 2009
- Report stresses importance of health insurance earlier in life October 13, 2009
- Health insurance burden grows for many workers October 9, 2009