Rate of uninsured Wisconsin residents steady from 2007 to 2008
The percentage of Wisconsin residents without health insurance stayed at 6 percent, a state survey found
Approximately 6 percent of Wisconsin residents were without health insurance in 2007 and 2008, a survey from the state Department of Health Services found.
According to the Wisconsin Family Health Survey, an additional 5 percent of people lacked insurance for at least part of 2008. Eighty-nine percent of people had some kind of health insurance coverage.
Wisconsin’s state health insurance program, BadgerCare Plus, aims to grant coverage to all uninsured children and their caretakers. The program is not as ambitious as Massachusetts’ – where, it is hoped, all people will have health insurance – but has seen some success in increasing enrollment, according to an October 2009 report.
By increasing eligibility and simplifying enrollment within existing state insurance plans, the report said, “Wisconsin is moving toward its goal of near-universal coverage even in the absence of comprehensive insurance market or health care industry reforms at the state or federal level.”
A Gallup poll from June 2009 found that 16 percent of Americans do not have health insurance.
Learn how easy and convenient shopping for health insurance can be. Get your free health insurance quotes today!
Posted: January 6, 2010
Related Health Insurance Articles
- New Illinois law improves consumer protections in health insurance January 6, 2010
- Health insurance reform ensures coverage for mentally ill December 29, 2009
- Fifteen percent of Americans lack health insurance, CDC says December 17, 2009
- Program to offer anti-smoking drugs as part of health insurance is paying off December 17, 2009
- Cancer risk linked to health insurance or lack thereof December 11, 2009
- Massachusetts reports that almost all eligible residents have health insurance December 10, 2009
- New Pennsylvania law expands health insurance coverage for young adults December 8, 2009
- Missouri hopes to join the ranks of states requiring autism coverage in health insurance December 4, 2009
- Health insurance reform should increase insurance rolls, keep costs at current levels November 24, 2009
- Across the aisle, Americans say they want improvements in health insurance coverage November 24, 2009