Health insurance debate focusing more on well-being
The physical fitness of health insurance customers could become increasingly relevant when it comes to policy prices in the coming years.
The debate over health insurance reform is prompting tough questions about many different policy areas – including whether or not people should pay more for coverage based on their weight.
A recent New York Times report notes that some proposals currently under consideration in Congress would allow insurance discounts to people who meet specific goals through company wellness programs such as keeping within a certain weight or maintaining low blood pressure and cholesterol levels.
The newspaper notes that about 40 percent of all deaths in any given year can be traced to poor health habits like smoking, failing to exercise and maintaining a poor diet.
As many insurance customers know, premiums already tend to cost more for people with chronic conditions such as heart disease and diabetes, which are often brought on by poor diet and lifestyle habits.
With these things in mind, some of the nation’s leading food and beverage companies, who themselves have faced occasional criticism for their products, recently launched the Healthy Weight Commitment Foundation. The goal of the organization is to fight childhood obesity.
If such efforts are successful, health insurance customers could benefit from lower rates and longer life spans in the coming years.
Learn how easy and convenient shopping for health insurance can be. Get your free health insurance quotes today!
Posted: October 15, 2009
Related Health Insurance Articles
- Report stresses importance of health insurance earlier in life October 13, 2009
- Health insurance burden grows for many workers October 9, 2009
- Diagnosis and treatment, health insurance key to living to 100 October 8, 2009
- Health insurance bill could penalize those who go without coverage October 8, 2009
- Possible link found between aspirin and colon cancer reduction could lead to lower health insurance rates October 7, 2009
- Preventive medicine can be as important as health insurance October 6, 2009
- Health insurance protects in case of sudden hospitalization October 6, 2009
- Excessive sugar consumption can raise health insurance costs October 2, 2009
- Companies struggling more with health insurance benefits October 1, 2009
- Health insurance costing employers more October 1, 2009
- Eating fruits and vegetables can save on health insurance costs September 30, 2009