Missouri lawmakers propose block on universal healthcare mandates
Would eliminate fines faced by individuals and businesses without health insurance.
Legislators in one Midwestern state are proposing a constitutional amendment that would block federal mandates for universal healthcare.
According to a report by BusinessWeek, the Missouri House of Representatives has passed a state amendment that would protect individuals and businesses from being fined if they do not have health insurance under the federal government’s reform. These entities will pay for their own medical costs.
The Missouri proposal would allow medical providers to receive direct payment for their services without receiving penalties. Lawmakers in the state have said that Congress is overstepping its authority.
“Like no other time in our nation’s history, the federal government has tried to insert itself into an area in which it does not belong to force Missouri citizens and citizens across the country to purchase a product,” said Representative Tim Jones, a Republican from Eureka.
Missouri is not alone in its efforts. Lawmakers in 33 states have made similar proposals, according to the American Legislative Exchange Council, which supports consumer-driven healthcare.
Critics of the healthcare reform have said that it would cause private insurers to go out of business while resulting in higher taxes to pay for government healthcare programs.
Posted: March 1, 2010
Related Health Insurance Articles
- Health Care Summit: A National Conversation about Your Health Care Wednesday March 3, 2010
- Health Care Summit: Controlling Health Care Costs Wednesday March 3, 2010
- Health Care Summit: Health Insurance Reform Wednesday March 3, 2010
- Health Care Summit: Health Care Reform and Deficit Reduction Wednesday March 3, 2010
- Health Care Summit: Expanding Health Insurance Coverage Wednesday March 3, 2010
- Number of uninsured Americans dying prematurely may increase, report says Wednesday March 1, 2010
- Column: Controlling health insurance premiums could force companies out of business Thursday February 25, 2010
- Health insurance considerations for couples considering marriage Thursday February 25, 2010
- Americans may not be as healthy as they believe, study says February 18, 2010
- State efforts underway to lift health insurance mandate February 1, 2010