Report stresses importance of health insurance earlier in life
When it comes to reasonable health insurance costs, some basic steps can go a long way in the long run.
People who want to hold down the cost of their future health insurance costs can get started by taking care of themselves now, and also by keeping up with doctor visits and other routine treatments.
A study from the Commonwealth Fund recently found that individuals aged 51 to 64 who had been uninsured, either sporadically or continuously, were likely to cost the Medicare system an average of $1,000 more each per year. This was largely due to increased hospitalizations and medical procedures that had been delayed earlier in life.
The conditions that tended to result in higher medical costs later in life included diabetes, heart disease and arthritis.
“When uninsured adults do not receive adequate care for hypertension, heart disease, and diabetes before age 65, they develop complications that require costlier care after age 65,” said Michael McWilliams of Harvard Medical School in the Commonwealth Fund announcement.
With these things in mind, taking time to shop for affordable health insurance now can help ward off a variety of problems that may present themselves later in life and substantially undermine one’s quality of life and finances.
Learn how easy and convenient shopping for health insurance can be. Get your free health insurance quotes today!
Posted: October 13, 2009
Related Health Insurance Articles
- Health insurance burden grows for many workers October 9, 2009
- Diagnosis and treatment, health insurance key to living to 100 October 8, 2009
- Health insurance bill could penalize those who go without coverage October 8, 2009
- Possible link found between aspirin and colon cancer reduction could lead to lower health insurance rates October 7, 2009
- Preventive medicine can be as important as health insurance October 6, 2009
- Health insurance protects in case of sudden hospitalization October 6, 2009
- Excessive sugar consumption can raise health insurance costs October 2, 2009
- Companies struggling more with health insurance benefits October 1, 2009
- Health insurance costing employers more October 1, 2009
- Eating fruits and vegetables can save on health insurance costs September 30, 2009
- Age is a factor in price of health insurance premiums September 29, 2009