Health insurance controversy brews in CA
One group is calling into question how a budget cut proposal will affect children’s healthcare
With the national unemployment rate at 8.9 percent – and new figures on job losses expected this week – job security is a priority for many families.
Employment is one very common way that families obtain health insurance for themselves and their dependents. Others buy individual health plans on their own, and some go without coverage at all.
But new concerns about health insurance for children are being raised after the California governor proposed eliminating the State Children’s Health Insurance Program SCHIP).
Medicaid Health Plans of America MHPA) is voicing concerns over what they call an “unprecedented” action that would help rein in the state’s spending.
“MHPA member health plans have strong concerns with the proposal and urge Governor Schwarzenegger to reconsider his plan to eliminate coverage for more than 800,000 children in California,” said the group’s executive director Thomas L. Johnson.
Children with health coverage are more likely to seek medical attention and maintain a regular schedule for check-ups than those without health insurance, according to a study by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation cited by MHPA.
Learn how easy and convenient shopping for health insurance can be. Get your free health insurance quotes today!
Posted: June, 03, 2009
Related Health Insurance Articles
- Disability insurance a factor in new legislation June 02, 2009
- New study: 66m could be without insurance in 10 years May 27, 2009
- Small business owners may cut health insurance May 26, 2009
- Affordable health insurance debate prompts creative response May 21, 2009
- Health insurance remains top concern amid fumbling economy May 19, 2009
- Health insurance a top concern amid job loss May 18, 2009
- Is a government health insurance company on the horizon? May 15, 2009
- Health insurance affordability re-examined May 12, 2009
- Flu scare seen as cause for spike in call volumes May 04, 2009
- Many unaware of real cost of health insurance May 05, 2009