Life insurance industry financially strong, ratings agency reports
Fitch says that life insurance firms are stable, even in a foundering economy
In a report this week, Fitch Ratings revealed that life insurance companies are better-positioned than other financial firms to withstand an economic downturn.
The reasons, Fitch says, are positive cash flow and a "stable liability profile" - in other words, life insurers have a predictable source of revenue and equally predictable expenses.
Nevertheless, losses on commercial real estate investments could potentially cost the life insurance industry a lot of money. CRE is projected to be one of the worst sectors of the economy in 2010; Fitch's outlook is "negative" for all areas of CRE except healthcare. CRE fundamentals will be weak in the coming year due to declining rents and increasing vacancies, Fitch suggests.
The agency estimates that life insurers stand to lose between $15.7 billion and $19.1 billion on CRE investments. But insurers - a conservative group - are well-capitalized; capital across the industry was $228 billion in June of this year.
Life insurance companies' positions are bolstered by "investment in higher credit quality assets, strong capital position and earnings," Andrew Davidson of Fitch's insurance ratings group said.
See how easy it is to shop online for life insurance. Get your free life insurance quotes today!
Posted: November 19, 2009
Related Life Insurance Articles
- Life insurance secondary market needs to be carefully regulated, Illinois commissioner says November 18, 2009
- Market uncertainty leading more to purchase life insurance November 11, 2009
- States' insurance supervision more than adequate, Connecticut commissioner says November 2, 2009
- Study finds that consumers confident in life insurance yet underinsured October 26, 2009
- Right life insurance policy can ensure financial stability September 29, 2009
- Fewer employees offering life insurance benefits September 28, 2009
- The connection between estate taxes and taking out a life insurance policy August 6, 2009
- Economy having an impact on life insurance rates July 13, 2009
- Term life insurance recommended to newlyweds July 1, 2009
- Americans stressing over retirement funds June 15, 2009