Consumers can find health insurance search difficult
A recent report helps illustrate the difficulties that many consumers can encounter when shopping for their own health insurance policies.A recent report helps illustrate the difficulties that many consumers can encounter when shopping for their own health insurance policies.
According to the study from the Commonwealth Fund, a growing number of consumers are having a hard time finding the coverage they need and can afford. For example, the study found that 57 percent report experiencing great difficulties finding affordable coverage, while 47 percent had problems finding the level of coverage that they needed.
Among those with no health problems, 66 percent said they never ended up buying a plan, while the percentages were much higher for those with pre-existing conditions. Coverage for those with pre-existing conditions is one of the issues currently being debated in Congress as part of a broader reform debate
With many employers scaling back on coverage or ceasing to offer it altogether, more consumers are finding that they need to secure their own coverage.
By carefully shopping around, consumers can often find a plan that meets their needs. One strategy can be to buy a policy with a high deductible that covers mostly catastrophic medical costs. Those with pre-existing conditions can also benefit from their state's high-risk insurance pools.
Learn how easy and convenient shopping for health insurance can be. Get your free health insurance quotes today!
Posted: July 23, 2009
Related Health Insurance Articles
- Younger workers advised on seeking health insurance July 23, 2009
- Organ transplants figure in debate over pre-existing conditions July 15, 2009
- Study: Medical costs can lead to bankruptcy July 15, 2009
- Affordable health insurance policies more in demand than ever July 14, 2009
- Sticking to medication routines can save on health insurance costs July 10, 2009
- New grads make easy insurance mistakes June 24, 2009
- Consumers speak out on health insurance coverage June 22, 2009
- Employee health benefits valued later in life June 17, 2009
- Small business owners debate health insurance June 15, 2009
- Current healthcare patterns 'unsustainable' June 05, 2009