Pros, cons of health insurance reform for young people
Those in their 20s may subsidize insurance costs for older people.Data from the Kaiser Family Foundation indicates that 19- to 24-year-olds are the least-insured people in America - and many support health insurance reform that would make health coverage readily available.
But, says the Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel, not all young adults are embracing reform, due largely to worries that they would bear much of the cost of insuring older, less-healthy people.
Because adults in their 20s are statistically healthy, their insurance dollars would subsidize older Americans' health care expenses - much like Social Security, where working adults help support pensioners.
Republicans in Congress and on college campuses are questioning the fairness of this argument, though. At present, healthy young people can elect to do without health insurance - but all the reform proposals establish insurance mandates. There would be a penalty for noncompliance.
And, say Republicans, stricter rules would limit insurance companies' freedom to charge older people more. Even though older Americans' health care can cost five or six times as much as young adults', proposals would charge only two to four times as much for older individuals' insurance coverage.
Learn how easy and convenient shopping for health insurance can be. Get your free health insurance quotes today!
Posted: October 30, 2009
Related Health Insurance Articles
- Small businesses bear the brunt of insurance cost increases October 29, 2009
- Lower diabetes risk leads to lower health insurance costs October 21, 2009
- Attorney General: 'Smart Choices' not always the smartest October 19, 2009
- Law ensures uninterrupted health insurance for college students October 19, 2009
- Health insurance costs projected to rise in the coming years October 16, 2009
- Health insurance debate focusing more on well-being October 15, 2009
- Report stresses importance of health insurance earlier in life October 13, 2009
- Health insurance burden grows for many workers October 9, 2009
- Diagnosis and treatment, health insurance key to living to 100 October 8, 2009
- Health insurance bill could penalize those who go without coverage October 8, 2009
- Possible link found between aspirin and colon cancer reduction could lead to lower health insurance rates October 7, 2009