Companies struggling more with health insurance benefits
A Massachusetts health insurance law that took effect in 2006 is reportedly having an impact on some businesses that are struggling to fully comply with it.A Massachusetts health insurance law that took effect in 2006 is reportedly having an impact on some businesses that are struggling to fully comply with it.
The law aims to achieve universal coverage by requiring all citizens to purchase or obtain health policies or to face financial penalties on their tax returns. Another part of the law assesses financial penalties on companies that do not provide at least some assistance to their workers to meet the cost of their coverage.
However, the complexities of the program may be having an unintended impact on some companies.
A report in the Boston Globe noted that recent state audits have found 40 percent of companies examined to be not in compliance with the law, which was passed in 2006. The report noted that overall, 97 percent of companies in the state are said to be meeting its requirements.
However, this also illustrates the growing difficulties that many companies face when trying to provide their employees with health insurance that has only become increasingly expensive for both workers and employers in recent years.
Learn how easy and convenient shopping for health insurance can be. Get your free health insurance quotes today!
Posted: October 1, 2009
Related Health Insurance Articles
- Health insurance costing employers more October 1, 2009
- Eating fruits and vegetables can save on health insurance costs September 30, 2009
- Age is a factor in price of health insurance premiums September 29, 2009
- Improved diet can lower health insurance costs September 29, 2009
- Arizona could lead states in debate over health insurance mandates September 29, 2009
- Census: Texas has most residents with no health insurance September 22, 2009
- Possible link found between aspirin and colon cancer reduction could lead to lower health insurance rates September 21, 2009
- Additional taxes on soft drinks may lower health insurance rates September 18, 2009
- Pelosi stumps for health care reform, still pushes for public option September 17, 2009
- Survey: Health insurance premiums rising faster than employee wages September 16, 2009
- Census: 2008 saw drop in median income along with rise in uninsured Americans September 11, 2009