Business leaders optimistic that health insurance reform will cut costs
Reform of the health insurance system could save businesses millions within the next decade, the Business Roundtable said late this week.The Business Roundtable includes corporate giants like Boeing, Verizon and Eastman Kodak; roundtable members are responsible for the health insurance of 35 million Americans.
"Healthcare reform done right could reduce the growth rate of healthcare costs - not just for government, but for the private sector as well," said the roundtable's Consumer Health and Retirement Initiative chairman and Eastman Kodak CEO Antonio Perez.
The group estimates that healthcare reform could save businesses $3,000 per employee by 2019, adding that healthcare costs should be growing at about 4 percent annually rather than the current 10 percent.
But, cautioned Perez, the reform bills produced by Congress aren't perfect. A government insurance plan could underpay healthcare providers, forcing them to charge more to private insurers. And penalties for people who shirk health insurance should be stronger than current bills would require so that consumers are not tempted to take on coverage only when they fall ill.
Learn how easy and convenient shopping for health insurance can be. Get your free health insurance quotes today!
Posted: November 13, 2009
Related Health Insurance Articles
- Malpractice fears raise costs and breed inefficiency, doctors say November 12, 2009
- Consumers uninformed about health insurance, survey says November 11, 2009
- Veterans without health insurance are more likely to die, study says November 10, 2009
- IBM paying for more health insurance in wellness initiative November 9, 2009
- Health insurance complicates health care delivery, survey shows November 6, 2009
- Health insurance a significant expense for college students November 6, 2009
- Reducing pollution may lead to lower health care costs November 5, 2009
- Rate reviews added to House health insurance bill November 4, 2009
- Children without health insurance have greater risk of dying, study says November 2, 2009
- Pros, cons of health insurance reform for young people October 30, 2009