Age is a factor in price of health insurance premiums
People who are shopping for health insurance coverage may want to consider their age as one factor that will determine how much they pay.People who are shopping for health insurance coverage may want to consider their age as one factor that will determine how much they pay.
A recent Associated Press report focuses on the struggle that some people are facing, especially in their fifties and early sixties, as they try to pay for private coverage before they become eligible for Medicare.
The report notes that members of Congress are considering proposals to scale back the amount that insurers can charge patients of a certain age for their policies. However, the wire service adds that such proposals are opposed by the insurance industry because as people grow older, they tend to require more care, driving up their treatment costs considerably.
One issue raised in this emerging debate is the fact that people age differently and some are far healthier than others, regardless of how old they may be.
This is also one more reason why it's important for people to try to keep themselves healthy, especially as they get older. Not older will they enjoy longer life spans and higher quality of life, but they are also likely to pay less for health insurance if they can avoid conditions like type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
Learn how easy and convenient shopping for health insurance can be. Get your free health insurance quotes today!
Posted: September 29, 2009
Related Health Insurance Articles
- Improved diet can lower health insurance costs September 29, 2009
- Arizona could lead states in debate over health insurance mandates September 29, 2009
- Census: Texas has most residents with no health insurance September 22, 2009
- Possible link found between aspirin and colon cancer reduction could lead to lower health insurance rates September 21, 2009
- Additional taxes on soft drinks may lower health insurance rates September 18, 2009
- Pelosi stumps for health care reform, still pushes for public option September 17, 2009
- Survey: Health insurance premiums rising faster than employee wages September 16, 2009
- Census: 2008 saw drop in median income along with rise in uninsured Americans September 11, 2009
- Pennsylvania Insurance commissioner proposed health care reforms for Congress to consider. September 10, 2009
- Obama hopes to win support on health care reform with primetime address September 9, 2009
- Arizona to cut 10,000 parents from state health care coverage September 8, 2009