Affordable health insurance debate prompts creative response
Are raising taxes on some products the answer to healthcare challenges?Mixed feelings on the idea to increase taxes on alcoholic beverages indicate there may be no easy solution to providing affordable health insurance to everyone.
Results from a Rasmussen Reports telephone survey show that nearly half of all Americans would favor a tax hike on beer, wine and other alcoholic drinks to offset the cost of healthcare.
However, not everyone is convinced this is the right path to ensure affordable health insurance.
Approximately 40 percent of those surveyed are against this type of tax increase and the remaining 10 percent are undecided on the issue.
Healthcare was a hot topic during the presidential election and remains at the forefront of President Obama's agenda as well as that of the American people.
With the unemployment rate at 8.9 percent and expectations that it will only grow over the next few months, many people who have lost their job or worry about their employment security are also thinking about affordable healthcare options including COBRA.
Learn how easy and convenient shopping for health insurance can be. Get your free health insurance quotes today!
Posted: May 21, 2009
Related Health Insurance Articles
- Health insurance remains top concern amid fumbling economy May 19, 2009
- Health insurance a top concern amid job loss May 18, 2009
- Is a government health insurance company on the horizon? May 15, 2009
- Health insurance affordability re-examined May 12, 2009
- Flu scare seen as cause for spike in call volumes May 04, 2009
- Many unaware of real cost of health insurance May 05, 2009