Pelosi stumps for health care reform, still pushes for public option
On the same day that Senator Max Baucus, a Montana Democrat, formally introduced his health care reform bill to the public, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi echoed her support of the Obama administration's proposed reforms during a speech for the Children's Health Fund.Pelosi stumps for health care reform, still pushes for public option
On the same day that Senator Max Baucus, a Montana Democrat, formally introduced his health care reform bill to the public, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi echoed her support of the Obama administration's proposed reforms during a speech for the Children's Health Fund.
During the speech, which was delivered on the west front lawn of the Capitol, Pelosi said that more than 21 million stood to benefit from health insurance reforms put forward by the America's Affordable Health Choices Act by preventing potentially harmful illnesses through catching them early.
"We want healthier children. We want a healthy America, not just health care and health insurance, but good health that comes through prevention and bringing it right to where the children are," she said.
Pelosi mentioned the "enormous progress" that had already been made by the State Children's Health Insurance Program and said that reforms would continue to aid children by requiring them to be insured by their parents with affordable health, hearing, and vision coverage.
"Our country and our economy will not have to wait anymore for health insurance reform. Our families can't wait another week for us to do what is right and our kids can't wait one more moment for us to act," she said.
Following the release of Baucus' health care bill, Pelosi remained hopeful that the bill would lead to needed reform but did not approve of its lack of a public option.
"As this proposal evolves, we hope to see modifications that result in the Senate bill better reflecting the work of the House to make health care more affordable for all Americans and promote competition that is key to keeping costs lower, " Pelosi said in a statement, according to Politico.
Learn how easy and convenient shopping for health insurance can be. Get your free health insurance quotes today!
Posted: September 17, 2009
Related Health Insurance Articles
- Survey: Health insurance premiums rising faster than employee wages September 16, 2009
- Census: 2008 saw drop in median income along with rise in uninsured Americans September 11, 2009
- Pelosi stumps for health care reform, still pushes for public option September 10, 2009
- Obama hopes to win support on health care reform with primetime address September 9, 2009
- Arizona to cut 10,000 parents from state health care coverage September 8, 2009
- Proposed California bill would keep 700,000 needy children insured September 3, 2009
- States take action to guarantee workers receive insurance benefits without falling victim to workplace fraud. August 28, 2009
- NAIC: healthcare reform is needed August 26, 2009
- Report: healthcare costs to rise 10.5 percent in next 12 months August 26, 2009
- Reduce sugar intake to lower health risks, and maybe your insurance costs as well August 26, 2009
- Study: 20 states' premium costs above average, reform suggested August 24, 2009