Obesity can be a significant factor in health insurance rates
Obesity is an increasingly serious problem in America that results in higher health insurance costs because of the pre-existing conditions it can cause, such as type 2 diabetes and heart disease.Obesity is an increasingly serious problem in America that results in higher health insurance costs because of the pre-existing conditions it can cause, such as type 2 diabetes and heart disease.
As a result, New York City public health officials are reportedly opening a new front in their campaign to raise awareness about the issue - with a focus on the nation's heavy consumption of soda and other sugar-filled beverages.
According to a BBC report, the city is running advertisements in public places that show human fat, complete with veins and blood vessels, being poured into a glass from a soda bottle.
"Shock adverts work. Showing people a gruesome image and saying, 'look, this is what you're doing to your body' makes people think," the BBC quoted psychotherapist Jonathan Alpert as saying.
Americans consume billions of gallons of soda and other sugar filled beverages each year, which has made calls for a tax on such products politically unpopular. However, people who fail to exercise moderation will still pay the price in the form of a lower quality of life, a shorter lifespan, and higher health insurance costs.
Learn how easy and convenient shopping for health insurance can be. Get your free health insurance quotes today!
Posted: October 7, 2009
Related Health Insurance Articles
- Preventive medicine can be as important as health insurance September 18, 2009
- Health insurance protects in case of sudden hospitalization October 6, 2009
- Excessive sugar consumption can raise health insurance costs October 2, 2009
- Companies struggling more with health insurance benefits October 1, 2009
- Health insurance costing employers more October 1, 2009
- Eating fruits and vegetables can save on health insurance costs September 30, 2009
- Age is a factor in price of health insurance premiums September 29, 2009
- Improved diet can lower health insurance costs September 29, 2009
- Arizona could lead states in debate over health insurance mandates September 29, 2009
- Census: Texas has most residents with no health insurance September 22, 2009
- Possible link found between aspirin and colon cancer reduction could lead to lower health insurance rates September 21, 2009