Eating fruits and vegetables can save on health insurance costs
People who are shopping for health insurance coverage may want to consider their age as one factor that will determine how much they pay.One important way to avoid medical problems that can dramatically increase the price of one's health insurance in the future is to maintain a proper diet.
That's because obesity and poor nutrition, as well as lack of exercise, can lead to diabetes and heart disease, which are pre-existing conditions that insurance companies routinely increase the price of policies to cover. These conditions can also dramatically shorten a person's life expectancy.
With that in mind, the Centers for Disease Control recently announced that Americans are falling dramatically behind when it comes to getting their recommended amounts of fruit and vegetables.
The CDC's Healthy People 2010 goals call for 75 percent of the American public to have two or more servings of fruit and three servings of vegetables each day. However, recent government statistics show that only 33 percent of adults are meeting the fruit recommendation and 27 percent are eating enough vegetables.
These figures are even lower for high school students, suggesting that more people in the coming years could find themselves paying more for health insurance in the coming years while also struggling with issues like heart disease and obesity.
Learn how easy and convenient shopping for health insurance can be. Get your free health insurance quotes today!
Posted: September 29, 2009
Related Health Insurance Articles
- Age is a factor in price of health insurance premiums September 29, 2009
- Improved diet can lower health insurance costs September 29, 2009
- Arizona could lead states in debate over health insurance mandates September 29, 2009
- Census: Texas has most residents with no health insurance September 22, 2009
- Possible link found between aspirin and colon cancer reduction could lead to lower health insurance rates September 21, 2009
- Additional taxes on soft drinks may lower health insurance rates September 18, 2009
- Pelosi stumps for health care reform, still pushes for public option September 17, 2009
- Survey: Health insurance premiums rising faster than employee wages September 16, 2009
- Census: 2008 saw drop in median income along with rise in uninsured Americans September 11, 2009
- Pennsylvania Insurance commissioner proposed health care reforms for Congress to consider. September 10, 2009
- Obama hopes to win support on health care reform with primetime address September 9, 2009